RUN4FUN is a curriculum supported physical education activity that encourages teachers, parents, caregivers, older siblings, and neighbours to join in and participate. RUN4FUN is a true school community event that can benefit a school, its students, teachers, and families in many ways.
RUN4FUN has been developed by professional physical education teachers (and parents), who are members of the Ontario College of Teachers.
RUN4FUN was introduced as a pilot program at two Ottawa elementary schools in 2008. The program was successful and both participating schools chose to continue the program in 2009. Last year the program expanded to 4 schools, including the original pilot schools. With the benefit of the experiences gained from these successes, Run4Fun Canada has decided to invite other National Capital Region elementary schools to consider introducing RUN4FUN as part of their physical education curriculum.
RUN4RUN can be delivered at your school on any Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from
- April 1 to June 30, or
- September 1 to October 31
- is a celebration of student (plus staff, families, and neighbours) physical activity participation.
- is geared to the age and ability of students at each grade level,
- addresses curriculum outcomes for daily physical activity and physical education,
- allows students of all ability and grade levels to participate in an enjoyable activity,
- provides recognition to each student for participating and finishing,
- encourages teachers, parents, older siblings, and neighbours to jog-along,
- offers opportunities to FUNdraise for important school programs, and
- is flexible enough to allow each school to develop it in its own way.